Who We Are
Savenia Labs is an independent testing laboratory and information services company that provides energy and environmental impact ratings for popular appliances and electronics. We produce information labels and ratings so individuals and businesses can choose energy saving and environmentally friendly alternatives while shopping.
Our Story / History
In 2009 founder John Jabara thought it strange that there was no energy usage or environmental impact information on the vast majority of the world’s most popular electrical appliance categories. He decided to start a company to provide some answers. Derived from the words Saving and Energy, Savenia was born. Based on years of scientific research, Savenia perfected its methodology in the laboratory with a team of leading engineers and scientists.
Today, Savenia Labs provides the world's first and only independent lab tested energy and environmental impact ratings in several appliance categories to help individuals and businesses make more informed decisions about the products they buy.
- The University of Maryland Center for Advanced Life Cycle Engineering (CALCE) is the largest electronic products and systems research center focused on electronics reliability in the world. Savenia Labs partners with CALCE to conduct lab-testing procedures for Savenia Labs rated appliances.
- B Corporations are a new kind of company which uses the power of business to solve social and environmental problems. Unlike traditional corporations, Certified B Corporations are legally required to consider the impact of their decisions on their employees, suppliers, community, consumers, and environment. Savenia Labs has been certified as a (B) Benefit Corporation in line with our mission and public activities.
- ClimateCounts is a collaborative effort to bring consumers and companies together in the fight against global climate change. ClimateCounts scores the world's largest companies on their climate impact to spur corporate climate responsibility and conscious consumption. Savenia Labs uses ClimateCounts.org’s scoring system to evaluate climate activities of the manufacturers of products we test.
- The EPA Green Power Partnership is a voluntary program that supports the organizational procurement of green power by offering expert advice, technical support, tools and resources. Savenia Labs is a member of EPA’s Green Power Partners program, purchasing 100% of our electricity from wind power sources.
- The EPA ENERGY STAR Small Business Network provides businesses in the network with free, unbiased information and technical support from ENERGY STAR. Savenia Labs is a member of the EPA ENERGY STAR Small Business Network and we buy ENERGY STAR products in our facilities where available.
- Savenia Labs is committed to minimizing its environmental footprint. Savenia Labs works with TerraPass to calculate and offset its carbon footprint by investing in US based carbon-offset projects.
- The Reznick Group is a top 20 national accounting, tax and business advisory firm based in Bethesda, Maryland. Savenia Labs works with Reznick Group to audit our energy ratings process to ensure all products of a similar category are evaluated equally with no manufacturer bias. This audit report is available on our website.
- Clean Currents is a local, independent green energy company, supplying wind power through the grid to residents and businesses in the Mid-Atlantic. Savenia Labs purchases renewable wind energy to power all of its facilities from projects in the United States through Clean Currents.
- Bethesda Green brings business, government and community together through programs and services to promote a healthy economy and sustainable living practices in order to reduce our collective impact on the environment. Savenia Labs was a founding member of the business incubator and continues to support Bethesda Green efforts in the region.
- The Maryland Green Registry is a free, voluntary program offering tips and resources to help organizations set and meet their own goals on the path to sustainability. Savenia Labs was accepted as a member of the Maryland Green Registry through our public demonstration of a strong, proactive approach to environmental management.
- Silver Spring Green is a new and exciting nonprofit organization that brings together businesses, civic organizations, residents and government to enhance our environment, economy and shared sense of community. Savenia Labs is a Steering Committee member company with focus on interface with the business community.